Today marks the Feast Day of St. Clement’s School’s patron saint.
St. Clement’s School was founded in 1901 by Canon Thomas Wesley Powell in the former town of North Toronto. Powell was the rector of St. Clement’s Church and first established the School in the church’s parish hall before providing it with its own building in its current spot just down St. Clements Avenue.
Canon Powell is still commemorated throughout the School, not least in Powell Hall, as well as several photographs and portraits that line the halls.
The School, the church, and the avenue on which we are located, were all named after the 1st century Saint Clement of Alexandria who is venerated not only in the Anglican Communion, but also the Catholic, Lutheran, and Russian Orthodox churches and many other Christian denominations. The St. Clement’s Cross features on our school shield.