The Junior School provides a supportive and nurturing community where our young learners thrive. Learning in our Junior School is supported by an emphasis on excellence, respect, integrity, community, creativity and spirituality. These core values are embedded in the day-to-day life of our Junior School, and are part of every classroom experience, creating a community of learners who are nurtured, valued and supported in all they do.
A foundation for lifelong learning
- Inquiring, exploring, collaborating and problem solving
- Academic program is enhanced by a full complement of co-curriculars
- Academic and leadership role models and mentorship from girls in Grades 7-12
- Participation, commitment and enthusiasm are the keys to success
- Opportunities for enrichment
- Options for Accelerated French or Advanced Math
- Opportunity to earn up to five Reach Ahead credits upon entering Grade 9
- Unique to SCS, students in Grade 9 take nine credit courses
- An enriching learning community where students are challenged in both academics and leadership
- A strong core program of English, French, Mathematics, and Science
- Unique to SCS, students in Grade 10 may take nine credit courses, allowing for increased flexibility in later years
- Opportunities for enrichment, creative expression, and learning through innovation
Junior School Curriculum
We believe in the importance of a balanced approach to learning. A student-centered approach to inquiry works alongside an emphasis on the tried and true.
Our Mathematics program, for example, ensures that students consolidate core knowledge and understanding in order to deepen problem-solving skills. In Language Arts, students explore creative ideas through literature but receive a strong foundation in grammar and writing. Memorizing the times tables, learning to recite poems by heart, excelling at public speaking – these are small but important parts of our Junior School academic program. Technology and innovation work hand-in-hand with our emphasis on foundational learning, and years of strong results demonstrate we have found the right balance.
Junior School subjects
- The Arts: Drama, Music, Visual Arts
- Health & Physical Education
- Language Arts: Reading, Writing, Oral Language and Media Studies
- Library and Research
- Religious Knowledge/Character Education/LINC5 and LINC6
- Social Studies
- Technology, Computer Science and Coding
for Junior School
LINCWell, our approach to enrichment, wellness and support, touches every St. Clement’s student from Grade 1 to 12. Within the Junior School, LINCWell works with our teachers and students to ensure that early learning is on track, while fostering resiliency, mindfulness and a reflective approach to learning, leading and life. LINCWell helps create an environment that optimizes every child’s learning, and builds a strong and healthy School community.
In the Junior School, every student benefits from an enriched arts experience. A specialist music teacher works with all classes from Grades 1 to 6. Visual arts are integrated into classroom work in Grades 1 to 4, and starting in Grade 5, students begin work with a Visual Arts Specialist to deepen their foundational knowledge and build specific skills. Annual highlights of Arts in the Junior School include Primary and Junior dramatic productions and whole-School choral music performances. Beyond the curriculum, students can explore their creativity through Art Club, Choir and Dance.
All students in Grades 1 to 6 receive Health and Physical Education regularly, while interschool athletic competition begins with track and field and cross-country in Grade 4, followed by competitive soccer, basketball, volleyball and track and field beginning in Grade 5. Junior School students also take part in fun-filled intramural games and sports, organized during the lunch hour. Red Cross swimming classes, taught by a qualified SCS instructor, are available to students as an optional after-school activity.
From Science to swimming, from chess to choir, Junior School students enjoy a full complement of clubs and activities. Our girls are encouraged to try new things and explore new interests while travelling through the Junior School.
Clubs and activities specifically for Junior School students include Primary/Junior Art Clubs, Junior Environmental Club, Junior School Chess Club and Primary Outdoor Games.
At St. Clement’s School, we believe in the importance of engaging with the wider community. Beginning in the Junior School, our girls participate in a variety of initiatives such as sponsoring young children through aid organizations, taking part in our annual St. Clement’s School Community Service Day, organizing food drives and fundraising for particular causes.
Many parents make use of our Extended Day Arts Program (EDAP) that provides daily after-school supervision of students until 6:00 p.m. This optional program for Grades 1-6 allows the girls a chance to complete homework, enjoy games, crafts, baking and creative play with friends, at an additional nominal cost. The program is planned and supervised by a qualified St. Clement’s School educator with assistance from Upper School students.